Thursday 15 January 2015

KUNLE ADEWALE...IMPACTING LIVES THROUGH ART

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ngrguardiannews.com%2Flife-magazine%2Fspotlight%2F193416-adewale-impacting-lives-through-art&h=oAQGE9dx7




KUNLE ADEWALE has a friendly mien. He always wears a smile that would make anyone meeting him for the very first time to assume he has never experienced the downside of life. His laughter is infectious and when he speaks, his words could propel you to do those things you wouldn’t ordinarily want to do. Indeed, there is no dull moment with this author, poet, art teacher and curator of Tender Arts Nigeria.
  In 2013, Ayomikun Omoyiola, a 10-year-old girl and one of his protégées, won the Peace Award in Abuja for her brilliant painting on the Nigeria’s situation, titled Peace In The Midst Of The Storm. And recently, another feather was added to his hat. A UK-based organisation not only recognised his efforts at mentoring children and youth, but also nominated him for the Global Teachers’ Prize.
  In his usual unassuming way, Adewale attributes this nomination to the Lord.
  “The nomination is just the grace of God. Since 2001, I have been in the classroom teaching and imparting knowledge to pupils. The classroom has always been my contact with them over the years. I have always loved teaching. Aside from the classroom teaching, I also use any opportunity that comes my way to touch lives. People must have seen what I have been doing, using art to develop the grassroots people and mentor children to enable them be their best in life and school. This must have informed the nomination,” he explains.
  Is it logical then to believe that it wasn’t coincidental that Nigeria’s youngest Peace Ambassador, Ayomikun Omoyiola emerged through him?
   “Yes, I may say. I met her at Queens of the Stone Ageland Academy, Okota, Lagos, where I teach art. From her performance in class and with her parents’ consent, I began to groom and mentor her along with others outside the school. Ayomikun’s works earned her accolades and laurels. Her artistic rendition on the Nigerian problems drew the attention of the people in government and she was rewarded with a Peace Award. She was invited to the Presidency and I was there with her when was honoured as Nigeria’s Ambassador for Peace. At 10, she has set the record as the youngest recipient of the award,” he says joyfully.
  Not only is Adewale proud that one of his mentee has brought his name to limelight in Nigeria, he is also delighted that the award will go a long way to inspire all young people in the country.
  “The award is a call to young Nigerians to maximise their potentials,” he says. “They should be encouraged and where they are not clear, a mentor should be invited to help them get to their desired heights,” he advises.
  Regarding the Global Teachers’ Prize holding in Dubai this year, the curator informs “the prize is equivalent to the Global Peace Prize and is being organised by Vagin James Foundation, UK, as a way of recognising teachers that have contributed immensely to education and impacted on their societies.”
  While many young trained teachers are moving away from the chalk-and-talk profession for lack of motivation, the artist is embracing it and doing it with great passion. On his love for the profession Adewale notes,   
  “I do not believe I am inferior or superior to anybody, as everybody is special. I cannot do the work of a lawyer or a motor mechanic. They are great people at their own level. Anybody that is somebody today passed through one teacher or the other. So, the classroom is the pitch, where lives are moulded.
  “I see myself as an ordinary people’s teacher because beyond the classroom and the fact that I am a teacher, there is so much I have inside of me. I bring what I have to the classroom, which goes beyond the curriculum and I think that is what adds value to my teaching.
  “I always ask people that beyond being a banker, an engineer or a medical doctor, what values have they added to life? Every individual, depending on how you see yourself, is an agent of change. Nobody is superior to you. Besides, you are not competing with anybody. It’s just like the sun and the moon; they both produce light at different times of the day. While the sun rules the day, the moon dominates the night; they both shine and there is no competition,” he philosophises.
   Adewale strongly believes that teachers, as change agents, can make or mar the pupil’s life with their words or attitude.
  “Whatever you become in life, you are either taught in school or you get it from someone. Some people are what they are today, whether good or bad because of what their teachers told them. This goes to show that words are very powerful. Beyond the classroom, the personality of the teacher matters,” he says.
  Reminiscing on life, the art teacher, who is also the author of a motivational book, Why Sit We Here Till We Die? A Tale Of Four Lepers, believes that in life, one should not mark time but maximise it.
  “If you don’t know why you are at a particular office or what you have achieved for the day, then you are marking time and that is the essence of the book. If you wait for government to put things right or for the right condition before you can launch out, know that you are marking time and not maximising it.
  “I wrote the West African Schools Certificate Examination (WAEC) seven times and the Joint Admission And Matriculation Board Examination (JAMB) five times before I could make it to the university. As a matter of fact, I was failing English Language, because before now I could not speak or write in English very well. It was a defect I got from my environment. Despite this, however, I had the urge to become somebody. I hawked cold sachets of water (ice water), nylon bags, anything sellable on the streets of Mushin, a notorious area in Lagos. Irrespective of my poor background, however, I had the yearning to go to the university. And after five attempts at JAMB and seven at WAEC, I gained admission into the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ife, to study fine art and graduated with a 2.1,” he explains.  
   Coming from such a background, Adewale’s spirit could have been easily dampened and he could have dropped the idea of going to the university, but he never gave up, not even for a moment.
   “I had more educated people around me,” he says. “They mentored me for a change. Change is not just the talk but putting the talk into actions. They encouraged me to study hard and I also invested in books. I was hungry for growth. So, I borrowed a lot of books from people around me. I was willing to learn and each time I failed, I worked to improve on the previous experience.”
  With these deep experiences, Adewale wouldn’t want anyone he knows to go through such. So, he decided to catch pupils young by investing more of his time on children.
   “I like teaching children. A child’s mind is flexible and easy to mould. I am passionate about what I do and look forward to seeing them grow up, make positive impact in the society with art. I am not regretting being an artist or an art teacher. I do not envy scientists or those in other professions because I know I can use my art to contribute my quota to the world and improve my society for the better.
  “I would suggest that parents get their children involved in arts. It helps the child to identify colours and relate properly with his or her environment. It also helps the child to coordinate and comprehend whatever, he or she is being taught. Art — literary, drama, still drawing or any other — is key to development. If you remove Art, life is empty; void and death.”
  Knowing too well that government cannot employ all Nigerian graduates, Adewale, an apostle of dignity of labour, would want entrepreneurial skills to be taught to the child as early as possible. And through his art mentorship, he has exposed some of his protégées to marketing their works.
   On what he does with the children artworks, he says: “some are sold and the money goes to the child, but some of the children are not keen on selling their works. Another aspect of the entrepreneurial skills is to train the child to enable him or her be self-reliant in future. Every child has a skill and parents should help them to identify and develop them.”
   Last year, one of his protégées made a presentation of the Peace Portrait to President Goodluck Jonathan. What exactly did he have in mind when he went for the event?
   “I am not purse driven. I am purpose driven,” he explains. “Being purse driven is when you work according to your salary, which I don’t do. I work according to my value. I never had it in mind that I would ever meet Mr. President or the Secretary to the Federation. I am a very passionate human being. My life is driven by value and whether I am rewarded or not doesn’t bother me because I know life will reward me in a special way.
  “Meeting the President was one of the rewards for my years of hard work. There was a time I trekked long distances to go and teach pupils. In those days, I was not seeing or meeting the president, but was driven by passion because as of then, if you lack the fund to move around, you may end up not going to teach. I want to stress that when a man is driven by passion, he goes places.”

SOURCE: The Guardian Newspaper, Life Magazine, Sunday January 11, 2015. Pg.15

 

No comments:

Post a Comment